HISTORY OF ST. VINCENT DE PAUL CHAPLAINCY
The history of St. Vincent De Paul chaplaincy, Rongo university takes us back to 2012 when the first intake reported to Rongo university college then. It had attained university college status up from an institution earlier known as Moi Institute of Technology (MIT).
Back then there was a mix up of students pursuing vocational courses, Diplomas and a few Degree certificates. Students professing the catholic faith would convene for their daily programmes in lecture halls and also conduct their Sunday service in the halls led by student catechists. The students lobbied for the patronage of the then Rakwaro parish priest but since there was no a well-defined framework of operation, celebration of a holy mass if any would be like once in a semester in the university.
After the subsequent intakes the population of catholic students continued to grow and cooperation with the local community Church was considered vital. Through this the students got a grip of the parish and would be included in the parish schedule. The catechism lessons were established and the catechumen would be baptized and confirmed through the parish registry with 2015 registering a good number of candidates.
In September 2016 the Bishop of Homabay Rt. Rev Philip Anyolo posted Rt.Rev.FR.Abraham Ayieko to serve as the chaplain for the Rongo university catholic students, a group which later adopted St. Vincent De Paul as their patron saint through Bishop’s discretion. Under the leadership of Rev.Fr. Abraham Ayieko, the chaplaincy has made significant strides some of which are highlighted as follows:
- Carrying out several charities in line with the charisma of the patron saint. To mention but afew, St. Karl children’s home in Kisii, Kwoyo Kodalo home for the disabled, Migori prison, visiting the old around Kitere area, baby peter project etc.
- Social activities which bring together members of the St. Vincent De Paul chaplaincy occasionally.
- Establishment of the Youcat teachings directly by the chaplain which inculcates in the students moral and spiritual values.
- Acquisition of a hall only designated for the catholic students within the university premises.
- Administration of the sacraments by the chaplain at regular basis.
- Establishment of strong small Christian communities.
- Strong chaplaincy choir which has recorded and produced the first video album.
- Strong vocations nursery with 3 of the alumni team joining major seminary formations i.e. (Augustine Sinda, Urbanus Kioko (IMC), Samson Matinde)
- Establishment of the chaplaincy alumni network.
Appreciation goes to the chairpersons who have led the chaplaincy along the years to the greater heights it stands today:
- Fred Abich
- Thaddeus Omanje
- Urbanus Kioko
- Yitzhak Sowe.
- Antony Mumo
- Arori kevin
ST. VINCENT De PAUL CHAPLAINCY
PRAYER, STUDY AND CHARITY.